Name's Flora Canou (Discord ID: fumica). Age 24. I speak English and native Chinese Mandarin.
I don't speak Japanese, except some basic words and how to read kanas and kanjis, which means I can easily tell what a Japanese page is about, but not much beyond that. So please stick to English (or Mandarin if you will) should you wish to have a convo with me.
> classically trained and interested in expanding common practice harmony thru RTT.
> music style is prog, specifically classical–electronic–rock fusion. MuseScore and FL Studio user.
Long term projects:
- Maintain all temperament pages
- Review scale trees for mos pages
Important articles of RTT I created:
- Album 5. Notes of the Generation (2023) – 8-piece album in 41et
- Album 4. Undevicesimal Fugues (2020) – 2-piece mini-album in 19et
- Album 3. Avant l'Avenir (2020–2022)
- Album 2. Favonius (2018–2020)
- Album 1. Eruption in Silence (2016–2018)
- Temperament Evaluator – I made this set of Python scripts to compute TE tunings, badnesses, optimal patent vals, etc.
As part of the essay collection Notes of the Generation.
- Fundamental Principles to Musical Sense
- There Is Not a Third Side of the River
- Proposed Standard Ear-Training Waveform
- On the Canon of Music
- Analysis on the 13-Limit Just Intonation Space: Episode I
- Analysis on the 13-Limit Just Intonation Space: Episode II
- Fokker Analysis of Rank-3 Scales
- Hard Problems of Harmony and Psychoacoustically Supported Optimization
I've also been trying to develop one on 19et but no satisfactory result as of now.
Q: What are the difficulties in developing a 19wt?
A: First, unlike 12- and 17et with ambiguous major and minor thirds, 19et's thirds are close enough to 5-limit JI that interpreting them otherwise is like a force. In 12- and 17et, those intervals can represent different ratios in different keys, whereas in 19et, they represent the same ratios better or worse in different keys. The effect isn't satisfactory. Second, the harmonics of 3, 5, 7, and 13 in 19et are all flat, so there's not much room to operate. Third, the ambiguity of 4\19 and 15\19 is an important characteritics, and those should be ambiguous in every key.
Q: What are the solutions?
A: For 19et to have any room to operate, octave stretch must be employed. For 4\19 and 15\19 not deviating too much, hemitwelfth is used as a generator.
Q: It's possible to make octave stretched well temperaments?
A: Yes it's possible. Just one more argument than pure-octave. Issue is I haven't got a satisfactory result.
- Analysis on the 13-limit just intonation space: episode i
- Analysis on the 13-limit just intonation space: episode ii
- Critique on D&D's terminology
- Critique on Functional Just System
- Flora's 12-note well temperament
- Flora's 17-note well temperament
- Fokker analysis of rank-3 scales
- Fundamental principles to musical sense
- Hard problems of harmony and psychoacoustically supported optimization
- Infobox Interval
- On the canon of music
- Proposed standard ear-training waveform
- Quick reference
- Reasonable commas
- Sequence of ETs with lower relative error
- Temperament data
- Temperament proposal
- There is not a third side of the river