User talk:Tyler Henthorn
wtf is VE?! 06:10, 30 September 2018 (UTC) PiotrGrochowski (talk)
- Currently, when you click the "Edit" tab above a page, you get a WYSIWYG editor which is provided by VisualEditor, which is powered by a Parsoid service. I made a few temporary changes to a test page in order to reproduce an issue someone was having with the editor. I don't fully understand why this VE page was created. Tyler (talk) 06:48, 30 September 2018 (UTC)
Tyler, thank you for fixing the widths on the table on the listen page. I didn't want to mess with that and break things. And now I see how to do it, from comparing the version with your changes. Will now know for future reference. Thank you for your service! SyntheticThought (talk) 13:00, 4 October 2018 (UTC)
Who is Tyler Henj?
I noticed that in Adminlist, you marked bold the tylerhenj. Is Tyler Henj your brother? PiotrGrochowski (info, talk, contribs) 14:28, 6 October 2018 (UTC)
- Tyler Henj is an imposter. Don't listen to anything he says. Tyler Henthorn (talk) 15:40, 6 October 2018 (UTC)
- You seem to have some secrets behind, as bold (which tylerhenj is) means that tylerhenj is on en.xen.wiki and an organizer. PiotrGrochowski (info, talk, contribs) 16:01, 6 October 2018 (UTC)
Fwd: Extension request
Hi Tyler, I hope you are well.
I wanted to ask you to add two extensions to the Wiki:
- 1) Extension:SyntaxHighlight - MediaWiki - there are a lot of code boxes (maple, python etc.) that could benefit from it
- 2) Extension:ImageMap - MediaWiki - maps of intervals and such could be easily linked to articles
I first put the request to Mike, who agreed and told me to ask you about the implementation.
Thanks in advance for having a look at it. --Xenwolf (talk) 07:55, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
- I will add these when I upgrade MediaWiki to 1.35. Tyler Henthorn (talk) 07:38, 6 October 2020 (UTC)
If you have the time, please also have a look into Scribunto. This will look hard at first but Template:Primes in EDO (under construction) isn't easy to handle either. Thanks in advance --Xenwolf (talk) 21:03, 20 October 2020 (UTC)
Images and image maps
I managed to get it working (see User:Xenwolf/SandBox#ImageMap) but I observe some deviation from the behavior that I'd expect (compared to Wikipedia, MediaWiki docs, and my experiences in another Version-1.35 based wiki): the image description link is not provided by the blue ⓘ icon, there is also a problem with images at all: no link to the image description page is provided when using
thumb in the image markup (both cause the image to appear framed with space for a image description).
BTW: thanks for the upgrade (and for adding the extensions)!
--Xenwolf (talk) 12:40, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
Issues in MW 1.35
I observe some extra space after external links Placeholder that is not added for interwiki links Wikipedia:Placeholder or internal links Help:Links. Any idea what could have caused this? I don't remember if we had background images? for external links before. If yes then maybe something has changed in the image path? so that the CSS is pointing to wrong places? now. This could as well explain why we lost the order indicator icons for sorted tables and the expand icons for bundled changes in the recent changes list. --Xenwolf (talk) 19:46, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
- I'm relatively sure that mw:Extension:WikiEditor is missing now, it provides the edit toolbar. It scan but should not be confused with the visual editor. I'm not sure is this is a new config requirement in 1.35 (I know from another wiki that it is necessary, and the toolbar gives much more support that the former one: quoting, special chars and so on). I guess that there was a rudimentary built-in solution before that has gone now. --Xenwolf (talk) 21:29, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
Hi Tyler, I asked Xenwolf a question (see User talk:Xenwolf#Maintenance_bot) and he said you were probably the right person to ask!
I notice that we sometimes do manual cleaning which could be automated by bots, such as fixing double redirects. I stumbled upon this yesterday: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikibot/redirect.py
Do you think there's a chance it could be installed on this wiki? Unless there's already something similar available that I don't know of yet? --Fredg999 (talk) 05:05, 14 October 2022 (UTC)
Hi Tyler! I'd like to request a few extensions:
- Extension:Purge. This one is useful when you've working on a template or a Lua module and test your changes on some page. Using a purge button instead of making a null edit saves both clicks and page load time.
- Extension:TemplateStyles. This one is useful when you need some custom CSS rules which can't be put into
style="..."but aren't important enough to go into the global MediaWiki:Common.css.
- Extension:Gadgets. This one is useful for organising JS things like my WIP in-browser sound generation project.
- Extension:Semantic MediaWiki. This one is a powerful upgrade of the category system. With SMW, you can assign properties to pages, query complex conditions based on those properties and categories and output the result in a highly customisable way. But it might be a bit more tricky to install.
- Extension:NativeSvgHandler. This one serves SVGs as SVGs without server-side rendering into PNGs with horrible resolution.
Additionally, most interval pages link to xen-calc and ConfirmEdit triggers when such a link is added by a template. Could you add it to exceptions or configure an interwiki? Plumtree (talk) 13:55, 14 October 2022 (UTC)