Information on how to get musical instruments to play music in a variety of tunings.
- fretted: guitars, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, balalaika, viol, sitar, etc.
- (unfretted) violin etc., oud, qanun, fretless bass, harps, zithers, hammer dulcimers, dan bau
- Home Made Canon
- pedal steel
- Cable Tie Frets - instruction and examples on using cable ties as frets on a defretted guitar
- mallet keyboards: vibraphone, xylophone, marimba, glockenspiel, crotales, lithophone, etc.
- tuned drums: timpani, rototoms, pat waing
- bells: carillon, conic bellophone, tubulong, amglocken, handbells, zoomoozophone, sound tower/sound cube
- lamellophones: kalimba (mbira), marimbula
- friction idiophones: musical saw, wine glasses, nail violin, Daxophone
- Keyboards: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Clavichord, but also Synthesizers
- Free Reeds:
- Reed Organs, Accordion, Melodica, Khaen, etc.
- Others: udderbot, tubulong, balloon flute
- Web browser based: ReTuner
- Software, DAWs, plugins
These instruments can play in any microtonal scale out-of-the-box, because 12edo is not a part of their manufacture:
- Fretless string instruments
- Fretless bass
- Fretless guitar
- Violin, viola, cello, double bass (the string quartet is a whole tuning-agnostic ensemble)
- String instruments with one pitch per string
- Hammered dulcimer
- Wind instruments with a slide or other continuous pitch control
- Musical saw