ARCHIVED WIKISPACES DISCUSSION BELOW
Please do not add any new discussion to this archive page.
All new discussion should go on Talk:Main Page.
Wikispaces is closing
How are we going to migrate?
- bootmii February 25, 2018, 08:55:04 PM UTC-0800
Backup/Transfer etc. is being discussed on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/xenwiki/
If it's too hard to follow there, I think it's best to ask Mike Battaglia for details.
- xenwolf February 26, 2018, 12:48:57 AM UTC-0800
New keyboard layout (for microtones)
Hey, this is my first time posting on a microtones website. I made a web app with a whole new layout, though it may not seem so at first. ;) Perhaps you could check it out for me: http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/microtonal/
Some more links are here (and also a list of URL paramters, like &show_microtones=1): https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!topic/musicnotation/YcC4jDrLVKg
I also have a website where I show the prime factors of some nice just intonations (I haven't been able to try the higher EDOs yet...): http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/new-just-tuning-imanuel
- Yambam January 18, 2018, 07:11:20 AM UTC-0800
Hey, that's really nice, thanks for sharing :)
- xenwolf January 18, 2018, 07:38:54 AM UTC-0800
I'm glad you like it! :D
I'm currently working on a non-web version which works with real MIDI and pitch bend. I think I mixed up the high and low notes on this fingerboard...
Yeah, I've never learned how to play the guitar. :) That's why I want something in between a guitar and a keyboard instrument...
- Yambam January 18, 2018, 08:16:24 AM UTC-0800
Gene, I've found this page very useful, and suggest it might be worthwhile having on the home page. It will help some people get started with alternate tunings without requiring them to know all of the theory, and will provide an easy "cookbook" reminder of processes for those who are less familiar with the material.
Thanks for your consideration.
- jdfreivald January 01, 2012, 06:10:59 PM UTC-0800
What do you want a link to, and are you sure it doesn't already have one on one of the things on the home page?
- genewardsmith January 01, 2012, 06:15:58 PM UTC-0800
I'm sorry, I was commenting about this link:
...and apparently forgot to hit "paste". No, it doesn't appear to be linked from anywhere on the home page or side navigation. Google doesn't show any backlinks into it, either; it may be an orphan.
- jdfreivald January 01, 2012, 08:04:08 PM UTC-0800
It was linked to on the software page, but that wasn't so easy to get to. I've reorganized the pedagogy page which is top-level; it was a complete mess, and you'll now find a link on it.
- genewardsmith January 01, 2012, 08:53:23 PM UTC-0800
I'm thinking that there should be a "Just get me the scale" page -- something very pragmatic that would tell you how to take a generator and create an MOS in Scala, for instance, or how to take a set of intervals and temper them to a given EDO, or whatever. If someone ever writes that page (and it will need some serious review if it were me doing it), I would add it to that page as well.
Thanks for all you do for the wiki and lists.
- jdfreivald January 01, 2012, 09:01:53 PM UTC-0800
Change to the front page
I see the front page is protected - probably a good idea. There is one change I think should be made to the front page - a direct link to the scale index should be included on the front page and in bold. This is for people who are using the wiki as a tuning resource and also for editing purposes.
- vaisvil October 16, 2011, 07:58:40 AM UTC-0700
I protected the front page because of vandalism. There seems to be no way of lowering the level of protection to all members, which would make more sense.
I'm not sure what editing change you are proposing here, however. Are you suggesting something in the navigation bar? It would make the most sense under Practice, but that's hidden. It's on Lists and Gallerys, but that may not be where people first look.
- genewardsmith October 16, 2011, 10:19:23 AM UTC-0700
There's already a direct link to the scale index on the text of the front page, but perhaps you are saying it should be more obvious?
- genewardsmith October 16, 2011, 10:23:34 AM UTC-0700
I was able to find the link today. Perhaps I need new glasses Gene :-)
- vaisvil October 18, 2011, 04:49:48 PM UTC-0700
There are currently 65 orphaned pages on the wiki. Some of them look interesting. I suggest authors/editors of these pages have a look at our directory pages (General Theory, Mathematical Theory, etc) and try to link things together.
- clumma September 18, 2011, 03:04:50 PM UTC-0700
Xenwiki on Wikipedia
I just added this stub:
It probably should be expanded.
- genewardsmith August 12, 2011, 09:19:25 PM UTC-0700
The corresponding thread on the tuning list:
- xenwolf August 15, 2011, 01:22:38 AM UTC-0700
This stub was deleted on wikipedia ONLY ONE DAY after from a giy named NawlinWiki, because the "No explanation of the subject's significance". Wtf...? >:-(
- tetraF August 23, 2011, 12:17:09 PM UTC-0700
IIRC it was only a few hours.
- clumma August 23, 2011, 12:37:33 PM UTC-0700
Less than that, I thought.
- genewardsmith August 23, 2011, 02:59:14 PM UTC-0700
that nawlikwiki is a Dumbass. Is perhaps not sufficiently clear that Xenwiki is a WEB CONTENT that refer and explains ALL over the microtonality, xenharmony, mathematical properties and individual apports of each one (here are many persons)?
- Osmiorisbendi August 23, 2011, 05:23:54 PM UTC-0700
Maybe to have a wikipedia article for the xenwiki is not so important. There are many articles in Wikipedia(s) that could be expanded by a weblink to the corresponding info here.
What do you think about that?
- xenwolf August 24, 2011, 12:32:50 AM UTC-0700
Well, maybe it could be something "sensate", but it still makes that people keep seeing it as anything, and not, as something that really worth merit.
- Osmiorisbendi August 24, 2011, 04:19:12 PM UTC-0700
Vandalism on the Xenwiki
We've had an instance of vandalism, on this page: http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/prop7g
For the moment I've moved the Xenwiki to protected status, meaning only members can post. I'd like to hear what people think should be done long-term.
- genewardsmith July 28, 2011, 09:12:38 PM UTC-0700
In my opinion, it should be protected temporarily only (maybe for some days or so).
- xenwolf July 29, 2011, 02:59:29 AM UTC-0700
It seems to have been a bot attack on Wikispaces, so I'm moving it back to public.
- genewardsmith July 29, 2011, 11:11:23 AM UTC-0700
RE: whos wiki is this?
is this mrs rich wiki?
- amy321 September 27, 2009, 04:54:45 AM UTC-0700
This is my wiki. And it belongs to the other people who have edited it too. And who's Mrs. Rich?
- xenjacob September 28, 2009, 11:33:36 AM UTC-0700
wat skool do u go to?
- amy321 September 28, 2009, 06:07:45 PM UTC-0700
answer my question first!
- xenjacob September 30, 2009, 10:42:57 PM UTC-0700
our music teacher! now answer my ? plz
- amy321 October 08, 2009, 04:15:12 PM UTC-0700
i don't go to school. i'm free!
- xenjacob October 09, 2009, 12:34:19 AM UTC-0700
how old are u ??????
- amy321 October 09, 2009, 07:43:07 PM UTC-0700
This was a funny exchange. I wonder who Mrs. Rich was, and what she knows about xenharmony??
- igliashon July 19, 2011, 11:25:36 PM UTC-0700
this is a test just to check if the posts are working
- RicardoMatosinhos December 09, 2015, 12:38:17 PM UTC-0800
Yes, it works perfectly !
- Osmiorisbendi January 05, 2016, 11:02:37 PM UTC-0800