Talk:Backing up this wiki/WikispacesArchive
ARCHIVED WIKISPACES DISCUSSION BELOW
Please do not add any new discussion to this archive page.
All new discussion should go on Talk:Backing up this wiki.
Done it, as requested.
- jhchalmers September 13, 2011, 08:37:09 AM UTC-0700
and now the previous (exactly as I expected it)
- xenwolf September 14, 2011, 11:33:43 PM UTC-0700
I've both deleted by the link. Ok.
Now we see that it's possible to store the links to older exports and the delete links anywhere else in the wiki and have it accessible as long as we want.
I think saying
These exports are pretty old, so I started making a new one has *nothing* to do with backup management. Sorry Mike.
- xenwolf September 14, 2011, 11:37:07 PM UTC-0700
I'm bow downloading the Nov 4 2010 export. Then I will copy the delete link to it and create a new export in wiki text, then I try to delete the hidden export. Please don't disturb this process by deleting anything.
- xenwolf September 14, 2011, 11:45:36 PM UTC-0700
As I found, hidden exports are not accessible,
neither to delete nor to download :(
So we have to find another place to share the exports. I'll delete my today export now, then download the older exports (and delete them) and - if only this one of Mike's remains - create a new export.
I suggest to run a rotating backup strategy after the grandfather-father-son principle:
I'll keep you informed here... :)
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 01:10:01 AM UTC-0700
I'm now downloading the Nov 4 2010 HTML backup, then I'll delete it...
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 01:13:17 AM UTC-0700
...downloaded and deleted.
I'm now downloading the Sep 17 2010 wikitext export, then I'll delete it.
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 01:26:35 AM UTC-0700
Man, I'm confused. All I can say is that the two backups listed are very old, so I'm not sure if it's important to worry about them. It's the wiki as of right now that I'm mainly concerned with, which is why I started making a backup.
- mbattaglia1 September 15, 2011, 01:29:58 AM UTC-0700
No problem. In a few minutes a've finished cleaning up. This evening (CET) I'll describe the backup strategy in an understandable manner.
We (as a group) should have access to more then the latest backup (at least a handful versions).
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 01:36:57 AM UTC-0700
...downloaded and deleted the Sep 17 2010 wikitext export.
I'm now downloading the Jun 29 2010 wikitext export
(seems the last one), then I'll delete it...
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 01:41:13 AM UTC-0700
...downloaded and deleted the Jun 29 2010 wikitext export.
I'm now downloading the Jun 11 2010 wikitext export
(seems to really be the last), then I'll delete it...
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 01:54:14 AM UTC-0700
As I discovered, the space used for this wiki counts only the (2) visible exports. There seem to be lots of hidden ones popping up now - where should one stop to download them?
Or should we build on the wikispace mechanisms -
in my opinion this is not a good idea...
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 02:14:32 AM UTC-0700
finally I downloaded and deleted the
Jun 11 2010 HTML export. Phew!
- xenwolf September 15, 2011, 02:26:57 AM UTC-0700
I added your name to the list. Anybody else, who downloaded the exports? I think 3 copies would be enough, then I will remove these (old) exports and create a new one (as fast as possible).
- xenwolf September 14, 2011, 02:33:30 AM UTC-0700
These exports are pretty old, so I started making a new one, in HTML form. Once HTML is done, I'll do Wikitext.
- mbattaglia1 September 14, 2011, 05:56:09 PM UTC-0700
EXactly *that's* the problem! did you delete the oldest export? Every new export hides an older one, so the oldest exports have to be deleted first. Maybe in the future simple links like this could help:
But we don't have it for older exports (if there are any at all)
- xenwolf September 14, 2011, 11:30:33 PM UTC-0700
thanks and answers
Thank you for creating this page, xenwolf.
Some suggested answers for your Questions:
- I would vote for zipped HTML.
- I would vote against making downloads available to the public. This makes it very easy for content farms (spam sites) to host the content.
- Github is for choice, and yes, this is probably the best way to do it. Any of the organizers could update the repository at any time.
- I see two export links on the page.
- clumma September 13, 2011, 01:49:15 AM UTC-0700
I'm not sure what "wikitext" is, but if you mean the raw unformatted material present on each page, I vote for that. In that case, if every server in wikispaces' cloud explodes at the same time, we can perfectly reconstruct the entire wiki from the wikitext backup.
I see two export links as well.
- mbattaglia1 September 13, 2011, 02:10:45 AM UTC-0700
I'd prefer wikitext. ...or better both, if we have an external space for that. Who can help to manage this?
BTW: where do you see 2 exports for download? I hope not on the page here ;-) (they are only a bit over-formatted), but here:
Did you download any? Both? That's what I wanted you to do. Did you have a look on the space used by the wiki?
The exports are an important factor, and I want to clean and refresh them.
- xenwolf September 13, 2011, 03:30:24 AM UTC-0700