Big List Of Experiments To Do
This is a page with lots of experiments we need to do. FEEL FREE TO DO THESE, THESE WILL HELP OUT A LOT!
The Great Category/Scale/Ratio/Function Crisis Of 2012
- 225 cents takes on the function of a minor third because the scalar context of the interval tricks the listener into activating his 3\12 category, which activates the categorized function.
- 225 cents takes on the function of a minor third because functions somehow derive from some property of scales or scale construction, and the essential features of the scale in question - e.g. aeolian - were recognizable enough in 2133133 in 16-EDO to create a similar set of functions as in 2122122 12-EDO.
- 225 cents takes on the function of a minor third because of some sort of psychoacoustic flipflopping which causes it to be "heard as" 7/6 instead of 8/7, or which causes the minor triad to be heard as 6:7:9 instead of 8:9:12, or so on.
- Something else.
Proposed experiments to try
- Test whether it sounds like a minor third in the absence of the perfect fifth being in the scale. If it still sounds like a minor third, then the explicitpresence of a minor chord is not important to its categorization. Try different tonics too.
- Result: Falsified by Locrian in 12-EDO: there's no fifth over the tonic in that scale, but it still sounds like there's a minor third over the tonic.