Talk:Semaphore and Godzilla/WikispacesArchive
ARCHIVED WIKISPACES DISCUSSION BELOW
Please do not add any new discussion to this archive page.
All new discussion should go on Talk:Semaphore and Godzilla.
Rank two vs rank three
"Semaphore" was being used for the rank three extension tempering out 49/48; the 2.3.7 subgroup temperament is of course closely related, but not really the same.
- genewardsmith August 17, 2011, 09:11:06 AM UTC-0700
If you give me a better name I'll immediately switch over to it. I'm not attached to names. I'm just using the ones I've heard before or that show up on this wiki or Graham's site.
- keenanpepper August 17, 2011, 11:18:07 AM UTC-0700
What about "semiphore"?
- genewardsmith August 17, 2011, 11:24:15 AM UTC-0700
I'll put "semiphore" up on Chromatic Pairs if you like.
- genewardsmith August 17, 2011, 11:28:56 AM UTC-0700
I'm not a big fan of these names that only differ by a vowel, and would be difficult to distinguish in speech.
Why not keep "semaphore" for this rank 2 one, and make a new name for the 49/48 planar temperament (which I've never heard of anyone using...)?
- keenanpepper August 17, 2011, 12:48:44 PM UTC-0700
The problem with moving the name semaphore to the 2.3.7 temperament is that it would involve renaming a page, which is sort of drastic. Why not just come up with a name? I like names like "semiphore" because they suggest the close relationship involved, but I'd like to hear your ideas.
- genewardsmith August 18, 2011, 11:01:03 AM UTC-0700
OK you win. "Semiphore" it is.
- keenanpepper August 28, 2011, 04:56:03 PM UTC-0700
Quick note for those reading that we've agreed to flip "semiphore" and "semaphore" to bring things in accordance with common usage - everyone on XA is calling the 2.3.7 49/48 temperament "semaphore" anyway.
- mbattaglia1 May 19, 2012, 01:22:31 AM UTC-0700